Wednesday, January 12, 2011

South Carolina is back in business... kinda!

If you weren't aware of it, we have had some wonderful winter storms down here in the south this week. Now before you fuss at me to stop my whining, let me put this in perspective for you. I know some of you great folks live in areas where snow is a regular occurrence. I actually enjoy snow, and I'd love it if we got more of it. Unfortunately, our state is not equipped to handle snow. We don't have snow plows or salt trucks to clean the roads or make them a little more drivable for us. Another problem is that most of the time we don't get this...
Scene out of my kitchen window last winter...

We get something that looks like this instead.

It took me 30 minutes to thaw out my vehicle for it to be drivable to work Tuesday. It takes me 6 minutes to get to work, so do you see why I wasn't amused by this?

We lost power because the trees are so freaking heavy with ice that they SNAP! Have you ever heard a bunch of trees just snapping? It sounds like really loud thunder as they all just fall. At least this year it wasn't as bad as the ice storm we had 7 years ago, but still. Why can't we get NORMAL cold weather, ya know? I was so thrilled when we had that snow last year, but that is a rare occasion. And it never lasts for more than a day, if that. Usually it's all melted the same day.

My neighbor was mad because when the power went out Monday, she decided to run to the bank. Ummm, this is South Carolina, chica! The banks are closed. Everything is closed. I love how the news reports say "schools and government offices had to close." Since when does the government need an excuse to close? Most of those offices get more days off than the rest of us chumps.

I also hear about how we can't drive in this crap. Well, NO ONE can drive on ice! I don't care who you are. No, we don't have the practice of driving on snow, but we also don't have the equipment to help with that either. People down here might not be able to drive, but at least they are MY non-driving people. I know what stupid crap they are going to do, so I know what to look out for. My preference is to stay home and curl up on the couch during this madness. If only my employer would agree with that notion...

16 comments:

Oilfield Trash said...

Winter sucks when you have to live in it/through it.

Hope you get thawed out soon.

Jon Hanson said...

The ice does suck - we actually get ice storms here in MN too. But the difference is where you are, it all melts within a few days. Here it stays until May! I hate winter.

SD
http://simpledudecomplexworld.blogspot.com/

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Brrr, stay warm and safe. I do love that picture of the fountain -as I look at it from sunny California. Sorry. The air is cold here, but we certainly don't see those kinds of fountains.
Thanks for finding and following. Any friend of OT's is a friend of mine. I'm glad to follow your adventures too.
xoRobyn

Don said...

We lucked out when most of the moisture in that weather systen passed just a few mile north of here so we ended up with a few lightly iced tree limbs and shrubs. Folks in Birmingham and north of there weren't lucky. My older daughter north of Atlanta was snowed in with over 7 inches of snow on the ground.

Today the temperature was still below freezing at 1pm and we should be down in the teens for the next two nights.

Krissy said...

OT.. It's still cold today, but most of it is melting, thank God!

SD.. That's why I don't live there, dear. :) You can have that craziness, although I enjoy reading about it.

Robyn.. Of course, you picked the picture I didn't take! :) It is pretty cool though, huh? If we are both friends with that nut, what does that say about us? Oh well, just glad to have you here!

Don.. We are supposed to get really cold the next couple nights, too. NOT looking forward to it. Hell, the antenna on my car was more than "lightly" iced.

BB said...

We stayed in for 3 solid days because we know the folks here aren't used to driving in snow OR ice. Not worth it if you can help it. This weekend should be up in the 50's I think. I'll take it.

that guy said...

snow cold ice...only good for wintercamping...otherwise i would prefer sunnyish and 70ish...

jus' sayin'

http://pearsonreport.blogspot.com/

Lyndylou said...

OMG I can't get over that ice without snow! Freaky!

Krissy said...

Barb.. That is sad that we are happy with 50! But I'll take it, too. I wish I could have stayed in but only got Monday to do that.

Bruce.. That's why I'm retiring to Panama! :)

lyndy.. I know, right? It is no fun, that's for sure unless you prefer to build Icemen.

Anonymous said...

My only experience with snow/ice of any sort was in Alaska and we weren't driving and there wasn't that much since it was summer, and once or twice up in the mountains in Palm Springs, for like 3 hours.

http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

twilightgazing said...

Loved the photos. Coming from a warm climate, with no extremes like that, this is the first time I've heard of ice storms.

Jimmy said...

Lordy Lordy, I remember those Ice Storms when I lived back home in SC, I agree with you, no matter where you live, they don't know how to drive on ice.

not displayed said...

The ice fountain is so pretty. It has been raining here today but sunshine again tomorrow. Luckily we are a long distance from those that are devasted by massive floods.
I think driving on ice would be scary

StephanieC @ Seriously?? Really? Seriously? said...

We totes drive on ice all the time in Ontario.

SHOULD we? No, of course not.

Do we do it WELL? Heck no, you should see all the cars in the ditches.

DOES that STOP us? Nope. Nope... just carry on, fishtailing and driving like maniacs.

Next time, be careful, grab a blowdryer on an electric cord, and defrost that baby! (Just kidding, don't electrocute yourself, not worth it just to get to work. lol)

Krissy said...

Adorkable.. Ice in the summer? No thank you! I'll take our can't-breathe-it's-so-humid weather over ice in the summertime anyday!

twilight.. Be glad you don't have them. This was supposed to be a mild winter for us, so we were surprised to get it.

Jimmy.. They are unbelievable, right?

Mynx.. The first thing I thought of was you and one of my really good Facebook friends when I heard about the floods. So glad it didn't affect you!

Stephanie.. That stuff is just crazy! So glad I got my new tires, and I didn't even consider a blow-dryer. :)

Full-On-Forward said...

I HAVE BEEN INSIDE TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


AHHHHHHH in Lexington.

Ooops--just looked out and I coulda left two days ago!

John

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...