Saturday, December 11, 2010

Our angel... Lost to us too soon...

I must warn you all that this is not going to be a happy post. My niece had her daughter die to SIDS at about 3 months old. Our angel Devyn was lost way too young. Our only salvation to that is that my brother-in-law Art (who was basically the brother I never had) died shortly before her so we know he was right there to take her into his arms. He has always been so good with babies, and with people in general.
Our angel, Devyn.
Today would have been her second birthday. We often joke she was our Super Bowl Baby because we had her wrapped in a "toddler terrible towel" for the last Super Bowl that the Steelers won. We also put that same towel into her casket as a symbol from all of us. 

We have bought all of the plots around her so she will forever be surrounded by family who loves her. She was here for way too short a time, but we will honor her today and miss her more than anyone can imagine. We will sing "Happy Birthday" to her and set off balloons again like we did last year, but this year her grave is decorated for Christmas by her grandma, my oldest sister. It will be a special day for all of us, though it will be hard. 

My mother actually got her first tattoo after Devyn passed away. It's a beautiful symbol to Devyn, and she has no idea how much her grandma (my mother) loved her. But she is safe in Art's arms now, as we all knew she would be. 
RIP Art and Devyn... We love and miss you both so much! (That's Art on the right.)

6 comments:

BB said...

Krissy this is so sad yet so beautiful. Why the good die young and the rotten people live long is beyond my comprehension. The sad thing is that it's always around Christmas that makes these losses just a little harded to bear. Love the way you're remembering them. That's what keeps them alive in our minds forever.

Krissy said...

How true, Barb. We write sweet notes on the balloons to her, but of course, you feel like you can never say enough. I think it was Mom's idea about the balloons last year, but I love it. I'll try to get my sister to share the poem she wrote that she had framed with pictures of Devyn.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys still honor her memory in such an amazing way. XOXO

Krissy said...

Thanks, Sam. She was a special baby (of course, aren't they all) so I'm glad we can do this. My mom about hurts herself keeping the grave side beautiful for her with flowers and things. I know someone is going to a special kind of hell for stealing a solar angel we used to have out there. Who can steal from a baby's grave??

XOXO back atcha for reading about our sweet baby. :)

Jumble Mash said...

Wow I don't how I missed this post, but WOW. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a cousin 2 days after he was born and going to visit his grave is harder than anything.

Krissy said...

Thanks, JM. It was one of the hardest things my family could ever go through. No one should ever have to bury a baby. I'm glad my mom has been able to make it kind of a thing for us to go "celebrate" her birthday though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...