Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Random Holiday Memories

I'm sorry I have been so neglectful of my followers here, but we had a busy holiday! I went to my parents' town which is about 45 minutes away on Thursday night, and I didn't end up getting home until yesterday. Although Bailey and I came home tired as hell, we had a great time. We had a little bit of drama on Saturday night when we decided that my estranged sister is just plain strange like we always thought, but I won't bore you with that tale. Other than that, it was a great time had by all. Of course, too much money was spent and there was a lot of planning for 10 seconds of unwrapping to end it all way too quickly, but still... I hope you all had a great holiday, too. I look forward to catching up on my Reader and seeing what you all were up to and what goodies you got for Christmas.

I got a Kindle, which I was thrilled about! Ever since my sister and my dad got one, my book supply has been cut off. Now I can get my own a bit cheaper through the Kindle. It's really too bad we can't share them that way, but that's the way it goes.

First I wanted to ask your opinion about something. I was taking care of a neighbor's animals for a few days last week before the holiday, so she had a list of things she needed me to do for her two cats and one dog. The night I went over to receive instructions, she picks up this bag that was laying on top of the Rubbermaid container of kitty litter and hands it to me. Now I thought it was probably a treat for Bailey or something, but she says, "Here, this is some banana bread for you."

I ended up coming home, looking down at the bag in my hand, and walking straight to the garbage to throw it away. Am I horrible for being that way? I mean, it was sitting on her CAT LITTER! Whether it was touching it or not, SHE'S been handling the litter when she has touched that container in the past. I'm sorry, but that was just gross!

Keeping her animals was a trip anyway, and I really hope she decides not to make the trip she had planned for this week. Her damn dog wouldn't go outside the first night. She was huddled in the corner of her bedroom shaking like I was the Jolly Green Giant come to eat her. What the.. ?? The dog knows me, for God's sake! The cats weren't any problem, other than having to clean out the litter box every day. I have never seen anyone do a litter box the way she does, but I guess everyone is picky about the way they take care of their animals. Of course, the dog had left a present for me on the floor when I got there the next day.

As you know from my past stories, my mother is a trip! She has this habit of affectionately butchering famous people's names, mainly athletes. For example, the long time hockey player Chris Chelios was "Cheerios" to her his entire career. The names she comes up with have brought us hours of amusement. Even our former Steelers coach, Bill Cowher, has always been "Coward" to her. Of course, we all think that one is fitting with the way he coached in the playoffs, but that's a rant for another day.

So while we are talking about the NFL over the weekend she's talking about the Steelers upcoming game against the Cleveland Browns. She says something about that guy "Wiley Coyote." My sister and I look at each other like, "Who the hell is that?" Of course Mom looks to Dad and says, "You know who that Wiley Coyote kid is." He nods and says it's Colt McCoy. Bless him, he's been with her so long that it's just second nature to know what she's talking about sometimes. Needless to say, the whole weekend we would just look around and say, "You mean, Wiley Coyote?" and it would give us a good laugh.
Doesn't this handsome kid look like Wiley Coyote? It's too bad the Steelers are going to have to make him run for his life on Sunday.

On a similar note, a pet peeve of mine is typos or when editors don't do their jobs. Does anyone know where I can get a job doing that? Proofreading and finding little "oops" things in movies are things that drive people around me crazy. It's just me. I can't help it! Feel free to point out mine, because I'd hate for someone to think I can't freaking talk right. Although sometimes, of course, it's on purpose. 

19 comments:

BB said...

I was a documentation supervisor for a software company and I edited and proofread all the user manuals and process documents my staff wrote. It was a great job but after 2.5 years the layoffs began. I lost the job eventually and for all the others that I applied for they required a degree in English. The wanted college over experience. Oh well!

Jimmy said...

The Kindle is a great gift, Cindy got one for me this Christmas too and I am enjoying it so much.

The spell and grammar check is my friend, even though it sometimes just gives me a big question mark as a suggestion because I haven't uploaded a Southern English to English translation manual to it as of yet, wonder if they make one of those?

I always hate it when I leave a comment and then realize that I should have corrected that first, but I figure most of you just smile and nod your head while giving me another chance.

I love the butchering of names like your Mom does, my wife does the same thing and even though it's confusing a lot of times you just have to smile because life should be fun..right.

Alessandra said...

Your mom is a crack up. My husband has the same 'gift', and I end up laughing for days.
I think the Kindle is very cool, Santa skipped my house this year, but Uncle Sam is coming by pretty soon.

It's not that I don't know how to spell, but I type too fast...

that guy said...

chris cheerios...

that IS funny!

Oilfield Trash said...

The Steelers will destroy Colt McCoy again for the 2nd time this year.

Krissy said...

@Barb...That isn't encouraging. :( Well, maybe if I finally write my novel I can have you be my proofreader!

@Jimmy.. I don't think there is one of those dictionaries yet. LOL Yes, life should be fun and something you can laugh at, regardless.

@Alessandra.. I'm glad you can relate with your husband's gift. :) I'm sorry Santa skipped your house, but so glad Uncle Sam can fix that! I love the Kindle!

@bruce.. I knew you would love the Cheerios thing!

@OT.. I hope we give Wiley Coyote an even better welcome to the NFL on Sunday. :)

Crayotic Ramblings said...

I think your mother and I may be related! I can never remember the proper names for movies... Sea Biscuit became Ocean Cracker - Brokedown Palace became Breakaway Castle... Pretty Skeletons... Laughing Hooker... And my infamous, That One with That Guy... (And yes, I had to Google the mess out of those first two to find the correct titles.) And like your father, bless his heart, everyone around me has learned to speak Rabbit...

not displayed said...

I would have dumped the cake too. I am totally clueless who any of the names are but the guy in the pic is cute. Speaking of cute pics, I posted you something today. Hope you get it soon. hugs

Anonymous said...

I love some of the things that my mom gets mixed up with other names. It's hilarious.

http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

AmberLaShell said...

I probably would have thrown out the cake too,,, ewww. i hate cats...

Lyndylou said...

I would have chucked the cake in the bin too.....yuck!

I looked after my sister's cats for 2 weeks and it was the longest 2 weeks ever!!!

I much prefer dogs :)

Glad you had a great Christmas, not sure about a Kindle, I love getting a book though for Christmas.

Krissy said...

@Rabbit.. When did you sneak in here? I'm so glad you decided to stick around! Welcome... I was literally LOL at your Rabbitisms. Those were hilarious. I am beginning to wonder if my mother had another child, because you definitely should be related to her.

@Mynx.. I can't wait to get it! I'm glad you agree with me on the cake.

@Ditz.. Your mom does it, too? Awesome!

@Amber.. Thanks for agreeing. I pretty much feel the same about cats.

@lyndy.. I was beginning to wonder when the first group of folks didn't respond about the cake. I much prefer dogs, too! Although her dog wanted to be a pain in the butt.

Jumble Mash said...

My little sister messes up names and song lyrics so bad! It's hilarious. And she sings all the time. When she sings "Waterfalls" by TLC, instead of saying, "Don't go chasing waterfalls" she always says, "Don't go Jason Waterfall." Even though I've told her a million times Jason Waterfall doesn't exist.

Great post, Krissy!

Krissy said...

JM, what would we do without people like that in our lives? LOL My sister has always told people to be more "pacific" instead of specific.

Don said...

Krissy wrote: "I ended up coming home, looking down at the bag in my hand, and walking straight to the garbage to throw it away. Am I horrible for being that way?"

Not at all, because everyone knows that s&@t happens and no one wants it to come close to what they eat. Some nameless wise man once said, "Don't S&%t where you eat.

Just sayin', Hon. :-)

Krissy said...

@Don.. Amen to that! Thanks for agreeing with me. I would never have been able to choke that food down knowing where it had been sitting. It was probably good banana bread, too. :(

Leigh said...

I wish Facebook would open the position of "Offical Facebook Editor." My only job would be to browse status updates and correct the grammatical errors. That would keep me busy forever. On the bright side, there would be no more "OHHHHMMMMGGGEEEEE youu guyss R likee soooo awsum annnd I luvvv youu sooo frickinnn muchhhh! <3 xoxo ilysfm lmao lol rofl"

Krissy said...

Jess, I'm embarrassed to say I know what all of that meant. I agree with you though! I would kill for an editing or research job. I think that would be my dream job.

Unknown said...

michael kors outlet online
ugg boots uk
abercrombie kids
cheap ray ban sunglasses
ugg outlet online
ugg boots
coach handbags
canada goose coats
uggs on sale
ugg australia
2016.12.24chenlixiang

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...